By David Cohen for WEBNEWSER
The American Society of Magazine Editors and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism saluted the 12 winners of the first-ever National Magazine Awards for Digital Media 2010 at a luncheon at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in New York Thursday afternoon.
The event also included the presentation of the Magazine Editors’ Hall of Fame Award to Slate founding editor Michael Kinsley.
The winners were:
• General Excellence, Digital Media (recognizes editorial achievement in magazine Websites and online-only magazines): New York Magazine
• Mobile Media (honors the outstanding use of mobile media, including mobile Websites, mobile applications, and electronic readers): Epicurious
• Design, Digital Media (honors the appearance and usability of magazine Websites and online-only magazines): Billboard.com
• Photography, Digital Media (recognizes the use of photography that demonstrates the unique capabilities of digital media): National Geographic
• News Reporting (honors the timeliness, accuracy, and skill with which news and information are gathered and presented by magazine Websites and online-only magazines): Virginia Quarterly Review
• Blogging (recognizes excellence in online reporting, commentary, and criticism in the form of a blog): Foreign Policy
• Regular Department or Section (recognizes the distinctive voice and unified design of a department or section of a magazine Website or online-only magazine): Sports Illustrated
• Multimedia Feature or Package (recognizes the imaginative use of interactivity and multimedia in the presentation of a single story or editorial package): New York Magazine
• Interactive Tool (honors the outstanding use of interactive tools that enable users to create or share content, participate in communities, improve the quality of their lives, or enjoy recreational activities): Men’s Health
• Podcasting (honors outstanding audio podcasts on a magazine Website or online-only magazine): Tablet Magazine
• Video (honors videos or video series in support of other Website content or as independent news and feature stories): Yale Environment 360
• Community (honors the use of proprietary content, interactive technology, and social media to establish and sustain user communities): National Geographic